(also pyrope garnet)
- A deep red variety of garnet.More example sentences
- Another garnet, a mixture of pyrope and spessartine, is called malaya garnet in the gem trade.
- Other minerals from the State Line kimberlite pipes have gem potential; these include pyrope and chrome diopside.
- Garnet has a general grain size of about 3 mm and its composition is almandine, pyrope, spessartine and grossular.
early 19th century: from German Pyrop, via Latin from Greek purōpos 'gold-bronze', literally 'fiery eyed', from pur 'fire' + ōps 'eye'.
More definitions of pyropeDefinition of pyrope in:
- The US English dictionary