Definition of pyrophoric in English:
1Liable to ignite spontaneously on exposure to air: several boranes are pyrophoric and toxic
More example sentences
- It is pyrophoric, burning spontaneously on impact, and extremely dense.
- We have a lot of pyrophoric substances in an organic chemistry lab - things that burst into flame when they encounter normal air.
- In addition to the radioactivity, DU is chemically toxic, pyrophoric and usually spreads aerolisized particles over a large area on impact.
1.1(Of an alloy) emitting sparks when scratched or struck.
- One of the oldest uses for praseodymium is in the manufacture of misch metal, a pyrophoric metal.
- The Army and other pyrophoric uranium munitions NRC licensees should admit the quantity of UO3 vapor produced by such weapons.
- Aside from being very dense and pyrophoric, depleted uranium shells also have a nasty tendency to vaporise.
Definition of pyrophoric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India