noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A yellowish organic acid which occurs as an intermediate in many metabolic processes, especially glycolysis.
- A keto acid; chemical formula: CH3COCOOH
More example sentences
- Pyruvate is the ‘salt’ of pyruvic acid - a product formed during the aerobic breakdown of glucose.
- The breakdown of glycogen, the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogen ions are represented by the tap.
- During glycolysis, a glucose molecule is split to form two molecules of pyruvic acid.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin acidum pyruvicum, from acidum 'acid' + pyruvicum based on pyro- (denoting an acid) + Latin uva 'grape'.
Definition of pyruvic acid in:
- The US English dictionary