noun[mass noun] Medicine
- The presence of pus in the urine, typically from bacterial infection.More example sentences
- Because of hematuria, bacteriuria and pyuria, Susan had been treated for a urinary tract infection with possible pyelonephritis.
- The specificity of the dipstick test makes it useful for identifying hematuria, pyuria, or bacteriuria.
- No clinical or laboratory finding distinguishes the two, though presence of pyuria makes true UTI more likely.
early 19th century: from Greek puon 'pus' + -uria.
More definitions of pyuriaDefinition of pyuria in:
- The US English dictionary