- (In the Middle East) a gently sloping underground channel or tunnel constructed to lead water from the interior of a hill to a village below.More example sentences
- Any failure of the qanats could lead to the death of the entire village.
- Most amazing are the irrigation systems, called karezes or qanats.
- Settlements in other areas of the Brahui region depend on qanat irrigation, a system of tunnels dug between shafts to carry water.
Persian, from Arabic qanāt 'reed, pipe, channel'.
More definitions of qanatDefinition of qanat in:
- The US English dictionary