(also qibla, kibla, kiblah)
- The direction of the Kaaba (the sacred building at Mecca), to which Muslims turn at prayer.More example sentences
- But for a Muslim who is thousands of miles from Mecca, finding the right direction to pray - the qibla, or ‘sacred direction ‘- is not so easy.’
- The only architectural requirement for a mosque is that it have a wall correctly oriented toward the qibla.
- With the cloisters complete, it was time to define the qibla or the axis along which lay Mecca.
mid 17th century: Arabic, 'that which is opposite'.
More definitions of qiblahDefinition of qiblah in:
- The US English dictionary