Definition of quadrat in English:
1Each of a number of small areas of habitat, typically of one square metre, selected at random to act as samples for assessing the local distribution of plants or animals.
- For every nightly census, a minimum of three and a maximum of 21 quadrats were sampled.
- A total of 199 quadrats were sampled in closed canopy areas.
- Territory quadrats were the vegetation quadrats sampled at the center of each of 88 territories.
1.1A portable frame, typically with an internal grid, used to mark out a quadrat.
- A plastic grid with 25 small quadrats (each corresponding to 4% of the total cover) was used.
- Canopy cover was dominated by Quercus macrocarpa with a relative frequency of 63% of quadrats with a wooded canopy.
- Percent cover of each species in the herb stratum was estimated visually using a portable 1 X 1 m quadrat with 1 dm graduations.
Early 20th century: variant of quadrate.
Words that rhyme with quadratpirate • accurate • indurate
Definition of quadrat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan