- 1Each of a number of small areas of habitat, typically of one square metre, selected at random to act as samples for assessing the local distribution of plants or animals.More example sentences
- For every nightly census, a minimum of three and a maximum of 21 quadrats were sampled.
- A total of 199 quadrats were sampled in closed canopy areas.
- Territory quadrats were the vegetation quadrats sampled at the center of each of 88 territories.
- 1.1A portable frame, typically with an internal grid, used to mark out a quadrat.More example sentences
- A plastic grid with 25 small quadrats (each corresponding to 4% of the total cover) was used.
- Canopy cover was dominated by Quercus macrocarpa with a relative frequency of 63% of quadrats with a wooded canopy.
- Percent cover of each species in the herb stratum was estimated visually using a portable 1 X 1 m quadrat with 1 dm graduations.
early 20th century: variant of quadrate.
More definitions of quadratDefinition of quadrat in:
- The US English dictionary