Definition of quadrature in English:
1 Mathematics The process of constructing a square with an area equal to that of a circle, or of another figure bounded by a curve.
- Craig published several more papers on the logarithmic curve, the curve of quickest descent and quadrature of figures.
- He generalised Gauss's method of quadrature and expressed the polynomials which are involved as a determinant.
- This book is a treatise on infinite series, summation, interpolation and quadrature.
2 Astronomy The position of the moon or a planet when it is 90° from the sun as viewed from the earth.
- When the Sun-Moon system is in quadrature relative to the Earth, the combined gravitational forces are not as strong.
- The planet is at east quadrature (ninety degrees east of the Sun) on the 26th.
3 Electronics A phase difference of 90 degrees between two waves of the same frequency, as in the colour difference signals of a television screen.
- The MT312 is a single-chip variable rate digital quadrature phase shift keying satellite demodulator.
- The L5 signal that will appear with the Block IIF satellites in 2006, will have quadrature phase skip keying.
- The quadrupolar echo pulse sequence was employed using quadrature detection with complete phase cycling of the pulse pairs.
Definition of quadrature in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia