nounFinance , • informal
- short for quantitative analyst. quants use computers to tell them what to buy and sellMore example sentences
- As one of Wall Street's leading quants, Derman did throw off some intense gamma radiation.
- Was it the quants who failed to imagine how big price distortions could get across all markets when liquidity evaporates?
- First, a few numbers for the quant lurking in all of us.
- A pole for propelling a barge or punt, especially one with a prong at the bottom to prevent it sinking into the mud.More example sentences
- Punting technique: a punt pole is technically called a quant.
- Or use the quant, a long, very long, punting pole wielded against the soft mud of the bottom like a knight's lance.
- Thats when you take down the mast and use a long pole (or quant) to punt the boat under bridges, including the notoriously low medieval one at Potter Heigham.
late Middle English: perhaps from Latin contus, from Greek kontos 'boat pole'.