Definition of quantal in English:
1Composed of discrete units; varying in steps rather than continuously: a quantal release of neurotransmitter
More example sentences
- The number of receptors opened following quantal release may vary directly with the total number of receptors at the synapse, but other, more complex, interactions may occur.
- Expression of tetanus toxin is known to reduce the frequency of spontaneous quantal release.
- Ideally, this requires the identification of peaks in the histogram at a spacing of one quantal unit.
1.2chiefly Physiology Relating to or denoting an all-or-none response or state.
- Furthermore, it allows one to calculate the apparent quantal size for each response in a sequence of stimuli.
- In this case, the quantal amplitude of postsynaptic response strongly depends on the number of accessible postsynaptic receptors in the vicinity of the release sites.
- The extrasynaptic receptors that are exposed to a much lower concentration of agonist and are not saturated may substantially enhance the quantal synaptic response.
- Example sentences
- Thus, a single Gag particle associates ‘quantally’ with one lipid raft, containing homogeneous trimeric viral envelope proteins, to assemble functional virions.
- Analgesia was defined quantally as a doubling or greater of the baseline latency for each mouse.
Definition of quantal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan