Definition of quantum jump in English:
1 Physics An abrupt transition of an electron, atom, or molecule from one quantum state to another, with the absorption or emission of a quantum.
- For example, Bohr's atomic theory includes terms like quantum numbers, quantum jump, steady state, and explains spectra described with the help of wavelength.
- Since Christian faith affirms the rationality of the Creator, I think that Aquinas would have rejected the unintelligibility of Copenhagen's interpretation of the electron's quantum jump.
- A more illustrative example of the origin of that common usage from the history of physics might be the use of the concept of a quantum jump in the Bohr model of the atom.
2 another term for quantum leap.
- But the results were startling enough, suggesting the potential for a quantum jump in the accuracy and effect of American fire power.
- After Landsat III and IV came a new generation satellite called the Landsat thematic mapper with improved ground resolution of around 30 m and this was a quantum jump from the earlier one.
- In just a few years from now, a single device that can easily be carried around in a pocket or a handbag, is likely to provide a quantum jump when it comes to communication and information retrieval.
Definition of quantum jump in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan