Definition of quantum mechanics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular] Physics
The branch of mechanics that deals with the mathematical description of the motion and interaction of subatomic particles, incorporating the concepts of quantization of energy, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the correspondence principle.
- According to the laws of quantum mechanics, these electrons may exist only in certain states.
- In fact, it is arguably the most important fundamental concept behind all of quantum mechanics.
- On the other hand, in quantum mechanics you will deal more with algebraic techniques.
- Example sentences
- However, as a subatomic particle the electron is also a quantum-mechanical object.
- Furthermore, experiments are insensitive to the overall phase of quantum-mechanical wavefunctions - a property known as gauge invariance - which leads to the conservation of electric charge.
- Being quantum-mechanical, the electron can also be in a ‘superposition’ of these states, pointing both up and down at the same time.
Definition of quantum mechanics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.