Definition of quarter-final in English:
A match or round of a knockout competition that precedes the semi-final: the Scottish Cup quarter-final between Hearts and Dundee [as modifier]: Carrick are in contention for a quarter-final place
More example sentences
- Germany will next play the US in the quarter-final of the World Cup finals on Friday.
- Meanwhile Britain's Ross Edgar was knocked out of the quarter-finals of the men's sprints.
- The Spanish league is too close to call, and in the Champions League quarter-finals Real meet Bayern.
- Example sentences
- But while the defending champions, Cameroon, and the 2002 World Cup quarter-finalists, Senegal, have already packed their bags and returned home, the two West Africans are still around.
- Unseeded Taufik, a quarter-finalist in Sydney four years ago, eased past Thailand's Ponsana Boonsak 15-9 15-2.
- But he admits he has quickly become disillusioned with the amateur game after rising from novice to world championship quarter-finalist in a whirlwind 16 months.
Definition of quarter-final in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan