verb[with object] (usually as adjective quarter-sawn)
- 1Saw (a log) radially into quarters and then into boards: a piece of quarter-sawn oakMore example sentences
- Because the growth rings in quarter-sawn wood run uniformly parallel along the entire board the wood does not shrink and expand with seasonal variation in moisture as much as flat sawn wood.
- This method of sawing accentuates the vertical grain and minimizes the flake, common in quarter-sawn oak.
- Solid quarter-sawn ash was used to build the fixed-window units and the decorative trim, while all office doors in the facility also are made of solid ash.
- 1.1Produce (a board or a piece of furniture) by quarter-sawing: a quarter-sawn white oak cabinetMore example sentences
- Decking should always be quarter sawed and laid with the edge grain up.
- For sale: A quarter sawn dresser with a fancy cut beveled mirror.
- The cabinet is made out of rift-sawn red oak with quarter-sawn drawer fronts and door panels.
More definitions of quarter-sawDefinition of quarter-saw in:
- The US English dictionary