- Involving the fourth and no higher power of an unknown quantity or variable.More example sentences
- MacMahon then worked on invariants of binary quartic forms, following Cayley and Sylvester.
- Orthogonal contrasts were used to test linear, quadratic, cubic, and quartic effects of proportions of SFGS in diet substrates on rate of fermentation.
- Assessing the higher-degree models (unconstrained cubic model and quartic model) proved difficult computationally, with many replicates failing to converge to a likelihood maximum.
nounBack to top
- A quartic equation, function, curve, or surface.More example sentences
- Pacioli does not discuss cubic equations but does discuss quartics.
- After subsequent work failed to solve equations of higher degree, Lagrange undertook an analysis in 1770 to explain why the methods for cubics and quartics are successful.
- Cardan published both the solution to the cubic and Ferrari's solution to the quartic in Ars Magna convinced that he could break his oath since Tartaglia was not the first to solve the cubic.
mid 19th century: from Latin quartus 'fourth' + -ic.
More definitions of quarticDefinition of quartic in:
- The US English dictionary