- A massive and extremely remote celestial object, emitting exceptionally large amounts of energy, which typically has a starlike image in a telescope. It has been suggested that quasars contain massive black holes and may represent a stage in the evolution of some galaxies.More example sentences
- Astronomers believe that quasars are galaxies with very massive black holes in the center.
- Rich in objects, from galaxies to quasars to white dwarf stars, this vast data archive will serve as a resource for the entire astronomical community.
- Radio astronomers found pulsars, quasars, and massive molecular clouds dotting the celestial landscape.
1960s: contraction of quasi-stellar.
More definitions of quasarDefinition of quasar in:
- The US English dictionary