Definition of quaternion in English:
1 Mathematics A complex number of the form w + xi + yj + zk, where w, x, y, z are real numbers and i, j, k are imaginary units that satisfy certain conditions.
- Recall that when Hamilton passed from complex numbers to quaternions, multiplication lost one of its normal properties: commutativity.
- Two other papers which he published in the same year in publications of the Royal Society of Edinburgh were on the scalar functions of a vector and on an application of quaternions to differential equations.
- Hurwitz published a paper on a factorisation theory for integer quaternions in 1896 and applied it to the problem of representing an integer as the sum of four squares.
2 rare A set of four people or things.
- And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
- I am not likely to attempt your quaternion of colour very soon.
- The two figural miniatures and all the canon tables are contained on a separate gathering, a quaternion, physically joined together.
Definition of quaternion in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India