noun (plural quebrachos)
- A South American tree whose timber and bark are a rich source of tannin.
More example sentences
- Genera Aspidosperma (family Apocynaceae) and Schinopsis (family Anacardiaceae)
- Ring dimensions were measured with dial calipers and results expressed as % equivalents to an 8-point standard curve of crude quebracho tannin.
- The woods are composed of the ‘red’ quebracho reaching some 15 m in height.
- The red quebracho grows only in the jungles of the Gran Chaco, an area along the banks of the Paraguay River.
late 19th century: from Spanish, from quebrar 'to break' + hacha 'axe'.
More definitions of quebrachoDefinition of quebracho in:
- The US English dictionary