- But almost three years later, taunted by young fighters, he agreed to a new championship battle, this one to be fought according to the Queensberry rules.
- This is perhaps due to the high incidence of death and physical injury in fights which led the Thai government to institute a ban on Muay Thai in the 1920s, but in the 1930s the art was revived under a modern set of regulations based on the international Queensberry rules.
- John L. Sullivan, who won the heavyweight title in 1882 with bare knuckles and lost it under Queensberry Rules wearing gloves in 1892, died of a heart attack at age 59,
- It's normally about now that I start considering the use of Queensberry Rules to settle matters in a satisfactory fashion.
- At this point, Queensbury rules dictate that I mention I've known Martin for almost a decade now.
Late 19th century: named after John Sholto Douglas (1844–1900), 9th Marquess of Queensberry, who supervised the preparation of the rules.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Queens|berry Rules
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.