Definition of quicksilver in English:
1The liquid metal mercury.
- Mercury has long been known also by the name quicksilver, because it is a silver liquid.
- It is the secret, the mystery of quicksilver, that a metal of such enormous density can yet remain liquid.
- California exported nearly all its silver to Asian markets, as well as much of its quicksilver [mercury], which was a key new element in improving the extraction of precious metals from ore.
1.1 [as modifier] Moving or changing rapidly and unpredictably: his quicksilver wit
More example sentences
- Tex Avery had wit, quicksilver charm, and near-boundless inventive genius.
- And another quicksilver attack saw Carlton cross for the rapidly arriving Twiss - but Uberschar deflected his shot for a corner.
- But he is an immensely gifted comic, with a quicksilver imagination which is like a video player permanently jammed in fast-forward.
Definition of quicksilver in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan