Definition of quincentenary in English:
noun (plural quincentenaries)
The five-hundredth anniversary of a significant event: 1992, the quincentenary of Columbus’s discovery
More example sentences
- The quincentenary is a significant public event and the Royal Mail has a tradition of recognising significant institutions who have contributed to the public good.
- Many books, published just before the quincentenary of Columbus's arrival in this continent in 1492, ignore the destructive influence of Columbus's arrival.
- The series goes a long way toward explaining, if inadvertently, why the quincentenary turned into a fiasco.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to a five-hundredth anniversary.
- In his annual report, he said they must work to preserve the mutual goodwill that came out of the quincentenary celebrations.
- Among the few quincentenary projects to reach a satisfactory conclusion is a twelve-volume series called, somewhat portentously, the Repertorium Columbianum.
Definition of quincentenary in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.