Definition of quincunx in English:
noun (plural quincunxes)
1An arrangement of five objects with four at the corners of a square or rectangle and the fifth at its centre, used for the five on a dice or playing card, and in planting trees.
- He goes in for rhomboids, quincunxes, and chess logic; even his ubiquitous infinities are of a linear, ‘Euclidean’ sort.
- People long ago produced fiendishly complicated analyses of visual forms: witness Nicholas of Cusa's tract on the all-seeing icon of Christ and Thomas Browne's labyrinthine meditation on the quincunx.
- Most Mesomerican peoples understood the cosmos itself to be four-sided or quincunx in configuration, being defined by the four cardinal directions and a fifth, the center.
2 [mass noun] Astrology An aspect of 150°, equivalent to five zodiacal signs.
- Saturn conjunct, Mars opposition and quincunx Pluto, all are powerful and aggressive controlling aspects.
- There are nine aspects in common use: the five major aspects - conjunction, opposition, trine, square and sextile - and four minor aspects - the semi-sextile, semi-square, sesquiquadrate and quincunx.
- Also known as the quincunx and denoted by the symbol, it is said to represent a harsh or tense relationship based upon incompatibility.
Mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'five twelfths', from quinque 'five' + uncia 'twelfth'.
Definition of quincunx in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.