- 1A plant of the goosefoot family found in the Andes, where it was widely cultivated for its edible starchy seeds prior to the introduction of Old World grains.
More example sentences
- Chenopodium quinoa, family Chenopodiaceae
- In August, he will plant beans, in October carrots and onions, in November barley and quinoa.
- 1.1The grain-like seeds of the quinoa, used as food and in the production of alcoholic drinks.More example sentences
- Now that it's cooler, she's eating foods like quinoa instead of cantaloupe.
- Increase whole grains such as millet, buckwheat, quinoa, oats, rye and barley.
- To get more fiber, she suggests eating five to nine daily servings of fruit and vegetables and one to four daily servings of whole grains like amaranth, barley, brown rice, millet, oats, quinoa, and whole wheat.
early 17th century: Spanish spelling of Quechua kinua, kinoa.
More definitions of quinoaDefinition of quinoa in:
- The US English dictionary