Definition of quinta in English:
1(In Spain, Portugal, and Latin America) a large house in the country or on the outskirts of a town.
- Hidden away in the forest and mountains, the picture-postcard town of Sintra is home to impressive palaces and traditional quintas.
- His assertion that the country house, or quinta, was of only one story, is apparently based on a document that refers to the residence as ‘two low dwellings.’
- I grew up in Buenos Aires, and my parents' quinta a little outside the city was named ‘Buen Aire’.
1.1A country estate, in particular a wine-growing estate in Portugal.
- In the 1980s and 1990s a number of single estates or quintas have also emerged, making high-quality varietal wines from grapes such as Alvarinho, Loureiro, and Avesso.
- It overlooks a former quinta or agricultural estate, now swallowed up by the city and transformed into a large public park.
- The lodges in these vineyards are known as quintas, and some offer wine classes, lunch and tours.