Definition of quinta in English:
1(In Spain, Portugal, and Latin America) a large house in the country or on the outskirts of a town.
- Hidden away in the forest and mountains, the picture-postcard town of Sintra is home to impressive palaces and traditional quintas.
- His assertion that the country house, or quinta, was of only one story, is apparently based on a document that refers to the residence as ‘two low dwellings.’
- I grew up in Buenos Aires, and my parents' quinta a little outside the city was named ‘Buen Aire’.
1.1A country estate, in particular a wine-growing estate in Portugal.
- In the 1980s and 1990s a number of single estates or quintas have also emerged, making high-quality varietal wines from grapes such as Alvarinho, Loureiro, and Avesso.
- It overlooks a former quinta or agricultural estate, now swallowed up by the city and transformed into a large public park.
- The lodges in these vineyards are known as quintas, and some offer wine classes, lunch and tours.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan