- Representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class: he was the quintessential tough guy—strong, silent, and self-containedMore example sentences
- Symbolically, his roles represented the quintessential dissident.
- We shall consider each in turn and then discuss the quintessential example of the problem.
- I suppose the waterfront dispute is the quintessential example, but that is only one amongst many.
- [as submodifier]: a quintessentially British drinkMore example sentences
- Thus, though something of a rebel in British academic society, he was also quintessentially British.
- Although the alliance's cause is quintessentially British, it has attracted support from wealthy Anglophile foreigners.
- But the film medium has always had difficulty in translating effects that are quintessentially literary.