1 (usually quintuplets) Each of five children born at one birth.
- Commotion over multiple births - quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets - isn't new.
- Before a similar hot start last season, he probably was best known as the player whose wife gave birth to quintuplets.
- A story about the birth of quintuplets shouldn't send all expectant couples scurrying to buy 5 cribs.
2 Music A group of five notes to be performed in the time of three or four.
- There was this very specific attention to every hemidemisemiquaver and how quintuplets were going to inter-relate with this and how the texture of the cymbalom would work with the mandolin versus the harps and so on.
- At one point, triplets and septuplets in the l.h. are pitted against quintuplets and sextuplets in the r.h.
Late 19th century: from quintuple, on the pattern of words such as triplet.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: quin¦tu|plet
Definition of quintuplet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.