- A short-handled riding whip with a braided leather lash.More example sentences
- For years people who want to have a recreational horse, and enjoy themselves, and don't want to have to be pulling and jerking on their horse or smacking it around with a quirt, or ramming the spurs home, have benefitted from our program.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Hit with a quirt: Claggart quirted her again and againMore example sentences
- Their stocky Indian driver, pigtailed and black-hatted, followed them astride a mule and quirted their hindquarters with a length of rope which he swung like a lariat.
mid 19th century (originally US): from Spanish cuerda 'cord' (from Latin chorda 'cord') or from Mexican Spanish cuarta 'whip'.
More definitions of quirtDefinition of quirt in:
- The US English dictionary