late 15th century (in the sense 'freed from a liability or debt'): perhaps a colloquial abbreviation of medieval Latin quittus, from Latin quietus, used as a receipt (see quietus).
call it quits
- Decide to abandon an activity or venture: surely, after covering eleven wars, he could be forgiven for calling it quits?More example sentences
- The struggling group decided to call it quits after a last ditch effort to recruit new members failed.
- Although he made an annual ritual of announcing his retirement only to change his mind, he decided to call it quits for good after earning his third World Championship ring in 1974.
- Following the 1994 season, he decided to call it quits.
Definition of quits in:
- The US English dictionary