- (Of a construction or expression) expressing or introducing quoted words: natural quotative verbs, like ‘say’, ‘insist’, and ‘explain’More example sentences
- However, such (mis) uses in quotative tags are fairly common.
- The quotative usage by itself isn't enough, otherwise you'd see things like: He seems all I really have a case.
- However, among the first 30 returns, I found 4 quotative tags.
nounBack to top
- A quotative construction or expression: the members of the group believed that quotative ‘all’ was very common these days in the speech of the youngMore example sentences
- Nowadays be like has turned into a widely-used all-purpose quotative since its immergence in the 1980s.
- The present study broadens our understanding of the extent to which new forms of quotatives are established in American English by looking at their use across different registers of spoken interaction.
- But in Standard Spoken English, we use the indirect quotative almost exclusively.