Definition of rabbitfish in English:
noun (plural same or rabbitfishes)
1A ratfish found in the NE Atlantic and around South Africa. Also called rat-tail.
- Chimaera monstrosa, family Chimaeridae
- As discussed in physical description above, rabbitfishes lose their color at nightfall and may also change color if threatened.
- Throughout the ferry, nudibranchs, groupers, puffers, and wrasses had taken up residence along with juvenile barracuda, fusiliers and rabbitfish.
- Large schools of rabbitfish and Sergeant Majors seeking a handout provide guaranteed excitement for snorkellers.
2A fish with a blunt snout and rabbit-like jaws, found in inshore waters of the tropical Indo-Pacific, especially around reefs.
- Family Siganidae: several genera and species, in particular Siganus oramin
- Siganids get their common name, rabbitfishes, from their peaceful temperament, rounded blunt snout, and rabbit-like appearance of the jaws.
- Smaller shoals of zooplanktivores, such as rabbitfishes and the juvenile forms of many other reef species, are also found hovering above and around coral reefs.
Definition of rabbitfish in:
- US English dictionary