Definition of rabbitfish in English:
noun (plural same or rabbitfishes)
1A ratfish found in the NE Atlantic and around South Africa. Also called rat-tail.
- Chimaera monstrosa, family Chimaeridae
- As discussed in physical description above, rabbitfishes lose their color at nightfall and may also change color if threatened.
- Throughout the ferry, nudibranchs, groupers, puffers, and wrasses had taken up residence along with juvenile barracuda, fusiliers and rabbitfish.
- Large schools of rabbitfish and Sergeant Majors seeking a handout provide guaranteed excitement for snorkellers.
2A fish with a blunt snout and rabbit-like jaws, found in inshore waters of the tropical Indo-Pacific, especially around reefs.
- Family Siganidae: several genera and species, in particular Siganus oramin
- Siganids get their common name, rabbitfishes, from their peaceful temperament, rounded blunt snout, and rabbit-like appearance of the jaws.
- Smaller shoals of zooplanktivores, such as rabbitfishes and the juvenile forms of many other reef species, are also found hovering above and around coral reefs.
Definition of rabbitfish in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan