- Composed of dextrorotatory and laevorotatory forms of a compound in equal proportion.More example sentences
- It has developed a new process to separate racemic epoxides by hydrolysis.
- Louis Pasteur performed the first enantiomeric resolution in 1848 while studying crystals of a salt of racemic tartaric acid.
- It has an asymmetric carbon atom and therefore has levo and dextro isomers but is supplied as a racemic mixture for anesthetic use.
early 19th century (in racemic acid): from French racémique 'derived from grape juice' (originally referring to tartaric acid in this) + -ic.
More definitions of racemicDefinition of racemic in:
- The US English dictionary