Definition of raceway in English:
nounchiefly North American
1A water channel, especially an artificial one of running water in which fish are reared.
- The most probable cause is that birds swimming in the East Fork of the Carson River, which flows behind the hatchery, carried dirt or water into the fish raceways.
- For this study we used randomly caught fish from our raceways that originated primarily from two of these sites, Bylas Spring and Cienega Creek.
- The water feeds a series of raceways where the trout mature and several fishing lakes, as well as driving a hydro-electric power plant to supply all the park's electricity needs.
1.1A groove or race in which bearings run.
- The main advance of this design is the integration of the bearing raceway with the hub, which reduces unsprung weight and narrows the overall package width.
- In the shielded bearings, the metal shield does not touch the raceways. Raceways are the metal rings that the ball bearings are sandwiched between.
1.2A pipe or tubing enclosing electric wires.
- The project also includes rehabilitation of water intake screens, auxiliary mechanical equipment and electrical equipment, electrical cabling, electrical raceways, cable trays and control systems.
- This raceway in the Communications Building holds new ‘high-speed’ wiring that can handle communication speeds of 1,000 million bits per second.
- The structural elements that support the overall tabletop also act as raceways and interconnections for all our electrical work.
2.1A track for motor racing.
- Our goal is for the spectators to be entertained for four hours not only by the racing, but also by the raceway.
- There's three track styles, raceways, streets, and off road, so there's somewhat different driving styles.
- The silver Porsche zoomed around the corner of the local raceway, two helmeted racers inside.
Definition of raceway in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.