- A railway with a toothed rail between the bearing rails which engages with a cogwheel under the locomotive, for very steep slopes.More example sentences
- This was not the first rack railway in Switzerland, but it is still there, still steam, and is as good an example as one can now find.
- The first rack railway was built in Rigi in 1873 and the one to Jungfrau mountain in 1898.
- You can also take the easy option and ride the early morning rack railway up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak.
More definitions of rack railwayDefinition of rack railway in:
- The US English dictionary