noun[mass noun] chiefly Biology
- Symmetry about a central axis, as in a starfish or a tulip flower: starfish have a fivefold radial symmetryMore example sentences
- The group is easily recognized by their radial symmetry, with a central nonseptate axis to which are attached whorls of lateral appendages which may or may not be branched.
- The flower-head consists of a set of petals arranged in radial symmetry around a cluster of stamens, and the flower-head is carried on a stalk which bears a set of leaves.
- The jellyfish and starfish both live in the water, have radial symmetry, and are invertebrates, so you might suppose that they belong together in a group.
More definitions of radial symmetryDefinition of radial symmetry in:
- The US English dictionary