Definition of radical chic in English:
1The fashionable affectation of radical left-wing views.
- Bernstein, who later personified radical chic in his support of the Black Panthers, would never return to the attitude of ‘Krupke.’
- It's for people from the suburbs who think Monet is far-out radical chic or don't know that abstract expressionism is passé.
- This time, he had gone too far with a mixed-up-media theater piece that took religion, pop culture, radical chic, symphonic pretension, and sheer gall to new extremes of bad taste.
1.1The dress, lifestyle, or people associated with this: the heyday of the hippie ethos and radical chic
More example sentences
- However much contempt I have for the radical chic here at home, I have even more for the protesters abroad.
- They emerged from 1960s radical chic to become America's most wanted fugitives.
- In the heyday of the hippie ethos and radical chic, Fogerty ingeniously formulated a downriver idyll of freedom and benevolence at the heart of America.
1970: coined by the US writer Tom Wolfe.
Definition of radical chic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan