Definition of raffia in English:
1A palm tree native to tropical Africa and Madagascar, with a short trunk and leaves which may be up to 18 m (60 feet) long.
- Raphia ruffia, family Palmae
- In addition, clothing and mats are popular wares, which are often made from the ubiquitous raffia palm tree.
- In addition, the raffia palms, of which there are various species in the African tropics and a few in S. America, yield oil.
1.1 [mass noun] The fibre from the leaves of the raffia tree, used for making items such as hats and baskets: [as modifier]: raffia mats
More example sentences
- Traditional crafts have also had a long tradition of importance for items such as pottery, handwoven cloth, carved stools, raffia baskets, and gold jewelry.
- Three of us shared that space; half of the cell was taken up by the bed - a raised concrete platform with raffia mats.
- Brylee threw the role of raffia into the basket she was pushing, and the two continued walking.
early 18th century: from Malagasy.
Definition of raffia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan