1(In Indian classical music) each of the six basic musical modes which express different moods in certain characteristic progressions, with more emphasis placed on some notes than others.
- Some singers astonished the judges with their amazing control over their voice as they got tested in the nuances of musical notes in various ragas.
- His resonant use of the bass string to render the notes of a raga in the lower octave has lent gravity and depth to his recitals.
- A 1948 review by a famous critic states categorically that a good voice is not essential for delineating ragas in the Carnatic mode.
1.1A piece using a particular raga.
- Their repertoire consists of anything you might have heard during the glory days of Afghan Radio: songs in Persian and Pashto, romantic gazals, sufi songs and ragas.
- I started learning to sing at age 3, singing parts of ragas and short songs for maybe ten minutes each morning.
- When the Forum honoured him, he pointed out that classical musicians were not being innovative and were parroting the same ragas and songs.
Late 18th century: from Sanskrit, literally 'colour, musical tone'.
Words that rhyme with ragaAga, Braga, dagga, dargah, laager, lager, naga, Onondaga, saga
Definition of raga in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.