Definition of raga in English:
1(In Indian classical music) each of the six basic musical modes which express different moods in certain characteristic progressions, with more emphasis placed on some notes than others.
- Some singers astonished the judges with their amazing control over their voice as they got tested in the nuances of musical notes in various ragas.
- His resonant use of the bass string to render the notes of a raga in the lower octave has lent gravity and depth to his recitals.
- A 1948 review by a famous critic states categorically that a good voice is not essential for delineating ragas in the Carnatic mode.
1.1A piece using a particular raga.
- Their repertoire consists of anything you might have heard during the glory days of Afghan Radio: songs in Persian and Pashto, romantic gazals, sufi songs and ragas.
- I started learning to sing at age 3, singing parts of ragas and short songs for maybe ten minutes each morning.
- When the Forum honoured him, he pointed out that classical musicians were not being innovative and were parroting the same ragas and songs.
Late 18th century: from Sanskrit, literally 'colour, musical tone'.
Words that rhyme with ragaAga, Braga, dagga, dargah, laager, lager, naga, Onondaga, saga
Definition of raga in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan