Definition of rain check in English:
1A ticket given for later use when a sporting fixture or other outdoor event is interrupted or postponed by rain.
- The course even gave each player a free rain check at the same cost as they had already paid for the non-day's golf.
- This is also when Kevin cashes in all the rain checks to play some golf at the lower elevations.
take a rain check
- Used to refuse an offer politely, with the implication that one may take it up at a later date: they wanted me to come along for the ride but I took a rain checkMore example sentences
- Now now I didn't turn you down I just took a rain check.
- She took a rain check on the invitation to lunch with her colleagues and sought Mel out instead.
- I think I'll take a rain check on that one, Winters.
Definition of rain check in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan