- A region having little rainfall because it is sheltered from prevailing rain-bearing winds by a range of hills.More example sentences
- The Sierra Nevada casts a rain shadow over the region to the east of that mountain range.
- The natural implication is that Baltica was receiving all the rain from the soggy Trade Winds blowing inshore from the Old Tethys Sea, while most of Laurentia was in the rain shadow of the Acadian Range.
- The orographie impact of the Andean Cordillera can be seen clearly, enhancing rainfall on the east slope and forming a rain shadow on the west slope.
More definitions of rain shadowDefinition of rain shadow in:
- The US English dictionary