Definition of rainmaker in English:
1A person who attempts to cause rain to fall, either by rituals or by a scientific technique such as seeding clouds with crystals.
- There's not all that much to love about rainy days unless you're a droughty farmer or rainmaker, but we're neither, yet we love rainy days and get lots of them.
- The region was in the grip of a fearful drought and since news of my recent success as a rainmaker had reached them, they wanted me to go there and perform my magical rain dance.
- I suggest they position a Sioux rainmaker at every track to ensure a good downpour during the race.
2North American informal A person who generates income for a business or organization by brokering deals or attracting clients or funds.
- Senior rainmakers with proven client relationships are getting $5 million to $6 million.
- He provided a dashing can-do military figure for the customers, a rainmaker who helped land the deals.
- He is happy to be the catalyst, the firestarter, the rainmaker, to agitate and organise, then retreat back to the kitchen, the office and the television studio.
- Example sentences
- Most of them don't seem to be in it - at least in any immediate sense - for the purposes of future rainmaking.
- In the context of private practice, many of the potential objective measures, like rainmaking or trial experience, would work against women, due in part to other forms of discrimination and stereotyping.
- Much of their folklore dwells on drought, fire, famine, and rainmaking.
Definition of rainmaker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.