adjective (rainier, rainiest)
(Of weather, a period, or an area) having or characterized by considerable rainfall: a rainy afternoon
More example sentences
- I'm in Houston and we got our first bit of cold, rainy winter weather this week.
- What better way to spend a rainy holiday summer afternoon in Salcombe or Lowestoft?
- The rainy weather definitely seems to have moved on as it is sunny this morning.
a rainy day
- Used in reference to a possible time in the future when money will be needed: putting money by for a rainy dayMore example sentences
- Where it is expensive, consider saving that extra money to protect against a rainy day.
- ISAs are probably the best way for us to save money for a rainy day, build up a nest egg and save for the long term.
- We all know that we should have some money put away for a rainy day.
- Example sentences
- Actually, the rumours of Seattle raininess have been highly exaggerated.
Words that rhyme with rainyBahraini, brainy, Chaney, Eugénie, grainy, Janey, Khomeini, veiny, waney, zany
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: rainy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.