adverb & adjective
noun (plural rallentandos or rallentandi /-di/)Back to top
- A gradual decrease in speed: the passage is marked by extravagant rallentandos [mass noun]: the music moves on without rallentando or pauseMore example sentences
- This is one of the least metronomic recordings I know, and yet the concerto holds its shape because a basic pulse has been maintained, in spite of the accelerandi and rallentandi.
- But Bacon's version of the piece on this disc, with its built in rallentandos, is charming and convincing.
- These are done with all kinds of rubatos, rallentandos, underlining, and overacting.
Italian, literally 'slowing down', from the verb rallentare.
More definitions of rallentandoDefinition of rallentando in:
- The US English dictionary