(also ramekin dish)
- 1A small dish for baking and serving an individual portion of food.More example sentences
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins and push a truffle deep into the centre of each.
- These impressive soufflés can be made in individual ramekins or coffee cups.
- Fill the ramekins with some summer berries and a drop of booze.
- 1.1A quantity of food served in a ramekin, in particular a small quantity of cheese baked with breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasoning.More example sentences
- The Irish black tea is hot and strong, the homemade raisin scones warm and airy, served with a heaping ramekin of clotted cream.
- The monochromatic assortment consists of four marvels of kosher-style cuisine served with two ramekins of sour cream.
- A thick and tender petite strip steak comes with basic fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp roasted new potatoes and a ramekin of rich tomato-tinged Béarnaise.
mid 17th century: from French ramequin, of Low German or Dutch origin; compare with obsolete Flemish rameken 'toasted bread'.
More definitions of ramekinDefinition of ramekin in:
- The US English dictionary