- A Eurasian plant of the bellflower family, some kinds of which have a root that can be eaten in salads:
More example sentences
- ● a Mediterranean plant with a long, narrow spike of bluish flowers and a thick taproot (Campanula rapunculus, family Campanulaceae). ● (horned rampion) a grassland plant with dense rounded flower heads of inward curving, typically blue, tubular flowers (genus Phyteuma, family Campanulaceae).
- However, like many other root vegetables, the rampion lost popularity as the potato gained acceptance.
- ‘How can you dare,’ said she with angry look, ‘descend into my garden and steal my rampion like a thief?’.
late 16th century: from a variant of medieval Latin rapuncium; compare with German Rapunzel 'lamb's lettuce'.
More definitions of rampionDefinition of rampion in:
- The US English dictionary