Definition of ramus in English:
noun (plural rami ˈreɪmʌɪˈreɪmiː)
1 Anatomy An arm or branch of a bone, in particular those of the ischium and pubes or of the jawbone.
- Mandibular length refers to the distance between the posterior ramus and the inner mentum.
- The gland may extend to the mandibular ramus to cover the buccinator muscle.
- Sandwiched between the two jaw rami is the left splenial, which has become detached and has been displaced slightly dorsally.
1.1A major branch of a nerve.
- The intermediate and ulnar sets of muscles are supplied by branches from the deep ramus of the radial nerve after it has passed through the supinator muscle.
- A substantial portion of the nerve makes up its two communicating rami with the facial nerve; these are the strongest and most consistent of the many peripheral communications between trigeminal and facial nerves.
- Note the ventral and dorsal rami of cervical spinal nerves.
2 Zoology A structure in an invertebrate that has the form of a projecting arm, typically one of two or more that are conjoined or adjacent.
- These include the presence of true, elongate furcal rami bearing spines in Perspicaris.
- Branchiopod characters include endites with setae turned backwards, the elongation of the telson, and its fluke-shaped rami.
- The rami of antenna 2 have between 12 and 19 articles.
2.1A barb of a feather.
- Finger et al. and Andersson have documented that the structural UV hues of feather barbs, like other barb structural colors, are produced by the keratin air matrix of the spongy medullary layer of the barb ramus.
- That is, the main shaft of the barb, the ramus, has a branching pattern of barbules.
Mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'branch'.
Definition of ramus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan