Definition of ranchera in English:
1A type of Mexican country music typically played with guitars and horns.
- Today, that station hasn't changed its format much, but ranchera is no longer the powerhouse.
- The drawing for the house was held at City Hall, gaily dressed with yellow balloons and reverberating with ranchera music.
- Arellano draws interesting parallels between Morrissey's music and Mexico's ranchera music tradition.
1.1 [count noun] A ranchera tune or song.
- Although usually connected with mariachi, rancheras are performed by all regional Mexican music ensembles.
- Los Lobos, since its inception, has defied categorization, with a repertoire of traditional rock, blues, Mexican rancheras and their own tunes, which bring together elements of all of the above.
- Her music is a reflection of her multicultural childhood in Mexico and her studies in anthropology in Minnesota, with its combination of Mexican folklore, boleros, borderland rancheras, opera, and American jazz and blues.
1980s: from Spanish cancion rancheró 'farmers' song'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.