noun (plural ranis)• historical
- A Hindu queen.More example sentences
- The rajas, ranis, peshwas and nawabs had their own cohorts, extended to include the mutinous sepoys.
- The brothers are now working on a view of the cultural scene in a palace - the raja playing the sitar, the rani dancing.
- When her fort was under siege by the British, the rani escaped from the besieged fort in disguise, reminiscent of Shivaji's escape from Aurangzeb's imprisonment.
from Hindi rānī, Sanskrit rājñī, feminine of rājan 'king'.
More definitions of raniDefinition of rani in:
- The US English dictionary