noun[treated as plural] (the rank and file)
- The ordinary members of an organization as opposed to its leaders: the rank and file of the Labour Party [as modifier]: rank-and-file membersMore example sentences
- It cannot be said with certainty that such political moves benefited the rank and file.
- Panday has himself stated that this is a matter for the rank and file to decide.
- There is no burning desire by the rank and file members of a party to take part in the selection processes.
referring to the ‘ranks’ and ‘files’ into which privates and non-commissioned officers form on parade.
More definitions of rank and fileDefinition of rank and file in:
- The US English dictionary