Definition of raphe in English:
noun (plural raphae /ˈreɪfiː/)Anatomy & Biology
1A groove, ridge, or seam in an organ or tissue, typically marking the line where two halves fused in the embryo, in particular:
- If the variant is bilateral the deviant muscle plate has a raphe in the median line.
- They are located close to the median raphe, ventromedial to the hypoglossal nucleus.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
1.1The connecting ridge between the two halves of the medulla oblongata or the tegmentum of the midbrain.
- Because most medullary raphe neurons that project to motoneurons are inhibited by vagal afferents.
- Second, there is a midbrain trigger, perhaps in serotonergic neurons of the dorsal raphe.
- In rats, the CO2-sensitive neurons of the caudal medullar raphe act during sleep only.
Definition of raphe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan