A small scorpionfish with brick-red skin and spiny fins, found chiefly in the Mediterranean and used as an ingredient of bouillabaisse.
- Scorpaena scrofa, family Scorpaenidae
More example sentences
- A. J. Liebling once proposed in the New Yorker that efforts be made to compare N. American fish of this family with the rascasses of the Mediterranean.
- But the one thing I hope we're all agreed on is that it must contain that indigenous Mediterranean fish, the rascasse.
- Traditionally, the ugliest fish - the devilish-looking rascasse - are reserved for the rich, rust-coloured fish stew called bouillabaisse.
1920s: from French.
More definitions of rascasseDefinition of rascasse in:
- The US English dictionary